Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sitting Kills Moving Heals

Just a quick shout out to point you towards this book, Sitting Kills, Moving Heals: How Simple Everyday Movement Will Prevent Pain, Illness, and Early Death -- and Exercise Alone Won't, Dr. Joan Vernikos.  


There has been so much recently about the dangers of the sedentary life, but this book joins the dots in a very interesting way.  Vernikos was involved in Space projets at NASA and she points out how the impact of weightlessness in space are actually the same impacts - but amplified and condensed - that flow from spending so much time sitting down.

Sitting is our way of avoiding the challenges, the exercise, that are properly delivered by gravity.

Her prescription is expected - move more - but it is the language that is interesting and motivating - the idea of doing more Gravity Exercises.

She points to some good research too.  For example it is not just about spending time stood up....but the repeating acts of standing that are important.  It reminds me of the floor exercises ideas that I pointed to a few weeks ago.

Highly recommended.

3 comments:

Neal said...

Another gem Chris. I recently sold my oly weights and rack to do exercises more suitable for the 2nd half of my life. I've rarely done turk get ups but now I'll be adding them to the mix. Swings seem to hit all the money parts as well.

Ben said...

Oh no, I have been sitting in front of my laptop all day. No good.

Dr.Joan said...

Thank you Chris! You got it, It's all about gravity!